One of the most popular single-cup coffee brewers out there, next to Keurig, is Nespresso. You’ve probably seen their machines, ads, capsules, and it only made you wonder, which should you choose, a Keurig or Nespresso?
There’s actually quite a world’s difference between Keurig and Nespresso, so choosing between them won’t be hard if you know what you want out of your coffee brewer.
Keurig Coffee Brewer:
- A Keurig brewer is a single-cup coffee maker.
- It comes in two lines: Keurig, which only brews cups, and Keurig 2.0, which can brew cups and carafes.
- A Keurig machines use K-Cup pods, these pods are available from variety of coffee brands like Starbucks, Green Mountain, Dunkin’ Donuts and many more. These pods are also available as tea drinks or hot chocolate.
Who Should Buy a Keurig Coffee Maker?
- If you want a classic cup of black coffee, like a regular coffee maker would make, then you’ll want a Keurig.
- But that’s not all, you get a whole lot of other drinks from your Keurig, too. Hot chocolate, tea, some flavored coffee drinks and more!
- If you like a certain brand of coffee, you’ll probably find that it makes K-Cup pods. If they don’t, you can still enjoy your favorite coffee using a reusable K-Cup filter, which is a pod that you can fill with your own coffee ground.
- A Nespresso machine is a single-serve espresso maker.
- Nespresso machines are available in two variants: Nespresso OriginalLine and Nespresso VertuoLine.
- Nespresso OriginalLine, which is the original Nespresso, is designed to make Espresso and Espresso based drinks like Cappuccino, Latte, Macchiato and more.
- Nespresso VertuoLine is designed to make Espresso and Coffee. However, their coffee isn’t the same as a classic brewed coffee as its prepared using a new technology exclusive to Nespresso.
- Nespresso machines use capsules (pods) made exclusively by Nespresso. However, there are some options for capsules that come from other brands. These capsules are available for Nespresso OriginalLine only.
- Depending on the model you choose, a Nespresso machine can come bundled with a milk frother that will automatically heat and froth milk to make your favorite coffee drink.
Who Should Buy a Nespresso Machine?
If you enjoy espresso or milk based coffee drinks like the ones usually bought from cafes, you’ll love having a Nespresso machine. It makes high-quality coffee drinks at no time and at friction cost of the price you’d pay at a cafe.
Differences Between Keurig vs. Nespresso
Type of Drinks:
Keurig specializes in coffee, but can make a variety of other drinks too. While it can make some coffee drinks like a latte or cappuccino, these are more comparable of an instant drink that you’d normally make out of a packet than a fresh drink. So, while the coffee Keurig makes is great, I wouldn’t recommend their cafe-style drinks over Nespresso.
Nespresso machines are high bar power pump machines that makes espresso drinks. So, what you get is Italian style espresso, or you can pair that espresso with steamed or frothed milk to make your favorite latte or Cappuccino drink. The capsules only contains coffee ground, and you’ll also be using your choice of fresh milk, which is why the quality is high.
Type of Pods/Capsules:
Keurig doesn’t make its own pods, but teams up with popular coffee brands so they can offer you your favorite coffee no matter what brand you prefer.
Nespresso on the other hand, manufacture their own capsules. There’s a limited number but good variety of capsules available to try, with many limited edition that come out seasonly. There are also a few Nespresso-compatible brands. Note that Nespresso OriginalLine capsules are entirely different than VertuoLine capsules.
Keurig coffee makers come in a variety of sizes. The design is usually similar, and some have simple button control panels and others may have a touch screen (mostly Keurig 2.0 machines). When brewing a K-Cup, you have to manually discard each pod after use. Accessories could include a reusable filter and/or a water filtration kit (check each model to know included accessories).
Nespresso machines have a very chic and modern design. They are compact in size, come in a variety of colors or metal choices. Each Nespresso machine is equipped with a used capsule drawer, so you don’t have to clean up after each use. The drawer will hold up to 10 or so used capsules that eject into the drawer automatically. Some Nespresso machines have built-in milk frother (known as Aeroccino), other models have a stand-alone forthers, and of course, you can also buy the machine without the frother.
Watch How They Work:
How To Use a Keurig:
How To Use Nespresso: