Nespresso’s line of Vertuo machine keeps expanding to bring us more of the coffee we love. Vertuo NEXT comes with extra features that certainly give it more edge over the other Vertuo models.
Table of Contents
- Features of Nespresso Vertuo NEXT
- Vertuo NEXT Model Comparisons (Next vs Deluxe vs Premium)
- Vertuo NEXT Pour-Over Carafe, What Is It and How To Get It?
- Vertuo NEXT Comparisons With Other Nespresso Models
- Should You Go For Vertuo Next or Other Vertuo Machine?
- Does Nespresso Next Come With Pods?
- What Pods Can I Use with Nespresso Next? Can I Use My Own Coffee Ground?
Features of Nespresso Vertuo NEXT
- Brews 6 cup sizes: espresso (single, double), coffee (5 oz, 8 oz and 14 oz) and carafe size 18 oz – which is an exclusive size for Vertuo NEXT.
- Bluetooth connected – this connectivity enabled machine upgrades and one-button capsule ordering via Nespresso’s app.
- Automatic bar-code reading technology allows the machine to recognize the capsule you’re brewing and automatically adjusts water volume and/or temperature, pressure and brewing time for the specific capsule.
- Sustainable design – the machine is made from 54% recycled materials.
- Compact design with only 5.5 inches wide.
- Removable 37 oz water reservoir.
- Automatic capsule ejection.
Vertuo NEXT Model Comparisons (Next vs Deluxe vs Premium)
The Vertuo NEXT comes in three model variety:
Vertuo Next Classic – Vertuo Next Premium and Vertuo Next Deluxe
All of these model varieties have the exact same features and functionalities. The only difference is in the colors and finishes.
- Premium models have chrome or rose gold accents
- Deluxe models have chrome and dark chrome finish.
- Classic models are mostly plastic with no metal accents
Vertuo NEXT Pour-Over Carafe, What Is It and How To Get It?
One of the benefits of Vertuo NEXT machines is that they were actually designed to accommodate even larger capsules than other Vertuo machines. Also, due to their Bluetooth connectivity, they can receive firmware updates via your smart phone or tablet.
Nespresso has announced that the Vertuo Next now has a serving size exclusive to it, 18 oz carafe size. This serving size will not be available on previous Vertuo models, but could be rolled out to future Vertuo models (as of the time of writing, the Vertuo Next is the latest Vertuo model).
Carafe capsules are available for purchase on nespresso.com.
Vertuo NEXT Comparisons With Other Nespresso Models
Here’s how Vertuo Next compares to other Nespresso Vertuo models:
- To start, all Vertuo machines use the same Centrifusion technology with barcode reading. So they are all one-touch brewing system with automatic parameter adjustment.
- Also, they are all only compatible with Vertuo capsules from Nespresso. There are no 3rd party capsules available for these machines.
Now let’s look at the differences between models:
Vertuo Next vs. VertuoPlus:
You can brew 5 sizes on both machines: espresso, double espresso, gran lungo (5 oz), coffee mug (7 oz) and alto (14 oz)
However, Vertuo Next has one additional serving size that is exclusive to it, carafe size (18 oz).
On the VertuoPlus, the brewing head is motorized. It automatically opens and closes by pressing a button without the need for force closing it.
The Vertuo Next has a manual brewing head. So you have to lock/unlock it manually, also it has to be closed with a bit of a force so the capsule gets pierced before the brewing process.
Water Reservoir Design:
It’s worth mentioning that the VertuoPlus model has a rotating water reservoir that can be placed on the back or the side of the machine, which is quite useful for anyone with a limited space. The water reservoir on the Vertuo Next does not rotate.
Both water reservoirs are removable for easy refilling and cleaning.
VertuoNext is a compact machine with only 5.5 inches width. It also has a smaller 37 oz water reservoir.
VertuoPlus is slightly larger in size, has 5.6” width but is a little bit higher. It has 40 oz water reservoir. The VertuoPlus Deluxe version has a 60 oz water reservoir.
Heat Up time:
Both models have 25 seconds heat up time. Which means, from the second you start the machine, it will be ready to brew the first cup in 25 seconds.
Vertuo Next vs. Vertuo Evoluo:
Evoluo, same as the VertuoPlus, has 5 serving sizes from espresso to larger cups of coffee.
And like the Vertuo Next, it has a manual brewing head lock mechanism.
Design wise, it’s wider as it has the water reservoir located on one side and the collecting bin on the other side.
Water reservoir capacity is 54 oz and the used capsule container holds up to 17 used capsules.
Vertuo Next vs. Vertuo:
Vertuo is the first machine in Nespresso’s Vertuo line. Like other Vertuo machines, it serves all 5 cup sizes.
Design wise, it’s quite similar to the Evoluo (which is the second release in Vertuo line). It has similar water reservoir/capsule container designs, and the same manual head lock mechanism.
Water reservoir capacity on the Vertuo is 40 oz.
It is not recommended that you buy this model anymore. It’s outdated, and as the first machine in the Vertuoline models, it had some issues that are now fixed in newer models.
Should You Go For Vertuo Next or Other Vertuo Machine?
The best features that would make you choose Vertuo Next over the other models are:
Bluetooth connectivity: I say this not because it’s cool that you can order your capsules via Bluetooth, but because it means that your machine can receive future updates that can expand its features even more or additional fixes if necessary.
Its compact size is quite appealing to anyone who doesn’t have a lot of counterspace, or simply prefers that their coffee machine does not take up a lot of space.
The carafe size is a total plus. It’s not for everyone, but it’s definitely great to have.
On the other hand, the Vertuo Next does come with some problems. Some customers have reported that the materials of the machine does feel cheaper than other Nespresso machines, and this could be due to the use of recycled materials. Others have reported that their Vertuo Next machines have broken after very short period of use.
It’s worth mentioning that defective products happen all the time. And if you go for a Vertuo Next, or another model, your machine is covered under warranty and will be replaced with a new one right away if it happened to be defective in any way.
- VERSATILE AUTOMATIC COFFEE MAKER: VertuoPlus Deluxe makes both coffee and espresso in a variety of sizes: 5oz and 8 oz coffees, and single and double espresso. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced Coffee drinks
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Brew the perfect single serve Coffee or Espresso drink time after time, thanks to Nespresso's Centrifusion technology using barcodes to deliver the best in cup results including the perfect crema for large Coffee cup sizes
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MACHINE: Have the ability to create barista grade brewed single serve Coffee or Espresso cups at the touch of a single button; Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules only
- FEATURES: Extra-large 60 ounce water tank and a 17 count used capsule container; This machine also has a fast heat up time of only 15 seconds; There is an energy saving automatic shutoff at 9 minutes of inactivity
- AEROCCINO MILK FROTHER INCLUDED: The Nespresso Aeroccino3 provides smooth hot or cold milk froth for your coffee recipes with one touch. It froths all types of milk in a few seconds, without noise or vibration
That said, I would actually recommend going for a VertuoPlus over the Vertuo Next, only if you don’t care about possible future updates or the additional 18 oz serving size. VertuoPlus, or VertuoPlus Deluxe if you want a larger reservoir, has better design, better materials and the motorized head is a breeze to use. It’s also much quieter than other Vertuo machines.
Does Nespresso Next Come With Pods?
Yes, like any other Nespresso machine, the Next model comes with a pack of sample pods. It doesn’t matter where you buy your machine from, as long as it’s brand new, it should include the sample pack. If you found that your machine didn’t include the sampler pack, please give Nespresso a call and they should provide you with one.
What Pods Can I Use with Nespresso Next? Can I Use My Own Coffee Ground?
Since Next is a Vertuo machine, then it is compatible with Nespresso’s Vertuo pods only. There are no 3rd party pods available for Vertuo machines, so you can only get your pods from Nespresso.
When it comes to using your own coffee ground, there are a few non-official refillable pods available that allow you to use any coffee ground you want. However, I can’t vouch for these for many reasons:
- Using refillable pods can be a hit or miss. Sometimes you use the wrong coffee grind size, other times the measurement of the coffee is not correct, so you end up with a bad cup of coffee.
- Refillable pods, for Vertuo or OriginalLine machies, are not always reliable and sometimes they can break your machine and void your warranty.