If milk based coffee drinks like Cappuccino or Latte are your favorite coffee drinks, then it’s highly recommended that your coffee machine has a built-in milk frother that will automatically heat and froth the milk. These kind of coffee makers will save you a lot of time when making your favorite drinks.
You can choose an espresso machine with a built-in milk from many brands, but in this post, we’re focusing on two of Nespresso’s most popular choices, Nespresso Lattissima Pro and Nespresso Creatista by Breville.
The Lattissima Pro was created in partnership between Nespresso and DeLonghi. The machine is compatible with Nespresso’s OriginalLine coffee capsules and has a patented Cappuccino milk frother system by DeLonghi.
Features of Nespresso Lattissima Pro:
- Choose from 6 pre-set drinks: ristretto, espresso, lungo, cappuccino, latte, hot milk and hot water (for tea or instant meals).
- Patented DeLonghi Automatic Cappuccino system that heats and creates froth with a push of a button.
- Brews Nespresso OriginalLine capsules and Nespresso-compatible capsules.
- Touch controls.
- LCD display for quick and easy drink setting and personalization.
- Customize coffee volume and milk density.
- Milk frother is detachable and allows you to store left over milk in the fridge.
- Premium stainless steel design and finish.
Another collaboration by two great leaders in the coffee machine world. The Creatista Plus is a Nespresso system that uses OriginalLine capsules, but it also combines powerful features that are usually available in more powerful or manual espresso machines.
Features of Creatista Plus by Breville:
- Create delicious coffee drinks using Nespresso’s capsules and professionally textured milk.
- Choose from pre-programmed drinks: Ristretto, Espresso, Lungo, Latte, Cappuccino, Flat white and Latte Macchiato.
- Customize your drink by choosing your coffee volume, milk texture and milk temperature.
- Auto micro-foaming milk frothing system with built-in thermometer sensor that allows the machine to heat the milk to your desired temperature.
- Choose from 11 milk temperature settings that varies between 55-76°C / 133-169°F
Frothing wand automatically purges after every use for self-cleaning.
- Choose from 8 milk texture settings.
- Colored LCD display allows you to easily program your machines’s settings, customize your drinks and more.
- Water reservoir capacity: 1.5L
- Compatible with Nespresso OriginalLine and Nespresso compatible capsules.
- Stainless steel frothing jug is included.
Creatista by Breville is available in two models, Creatista and Creatista Plus.
There’s a difference in the amount of options you have:
- Creatista Plus has 11 milk temperature settings, while the Creatista has only 3.
Then, there’s a difference in material:
- Creatista Plus has full stainless steel housing. Creatista has some stainless steel parts (front panel for the most part), with colored side panels.
Heat up time is another difference. Creatista Plus has a quick 3-second heat up time, Creatista is slightly slower with 10 second heat up time.
What About Nespresso Creatista Uno?
Creatista Uno has the same steam wand that makes every Creatista machine special. It is the entry level model in the Creatista line, so it has less features:
- It lacks any digital display. Instead, it has manual buttons for each task/option.
- It has three coffee size selections, three milk temperature selections and three foam levels.
- Material wise, it has full plastic housing.
Before I get into comparisons between specific models, here’s a general comparison between the two popular Nespresso lines: Lattissima and Creatista.
Lattissima machines, which include Lattissima Plus, Lattissima Pro, Lattissima One or Gran Lattissima – they’re all original line Nespresso machines with built-in milk frothers. So they do everything for you, all you have to do is press a button. The milk is automatically heated, frothed and poured into your cup along with the coffee.
Creatista, Creatista Plus and Creatista Uno, are in fact machines by Breville but powered by Nespresso’s capsule technology. The biggest difference here is that Creatista machines have a steam wand instead of the automatic milk frother. They’re the closest thing you’ll get to a traditional espresso machine, but with the convenience of a single serve machine. The milk steaming process on a Creatista machine is semi-automatic. You’ll set the temperature level and froth level you want, and the Creatista will make it for you. However, you’ll manually measure the milk and then pour it. The great thing is, if you’re a fan of latte art, the quality of steamed milk the Creatista milk allows you to do that.
One of the biggest difference between the Lattissima Pro and Creatista is customization. Creatista is designed to allow you to make more professional and barista-style drinks at home thanks to two features:
- Automatic micro-foaming
- Milk temperature settings.
Micro-foaming is what commercial-style espresso makers use to heat and froth milk using steam wand. The steamed milk is created with micro bubbles that give you a more creamy and smoother texture. It will also allow you to create beautiful and professional latte art (but that will take some practice on your part).
- On the other hand, the Lattissima Pro can create delicious coffee drinks, but there’s no way for you to customize the temperature of the milk. The frothed milk’s density can be customized, however, it is not micro-foamed. The quality of the frothed milk here is similar to that created using an electric milk frother.
- The LCD display on the Creatista is colored, and it features nice icons and it fully guides you through the process. Customization is done by turning a dial next to the display. On the Lattissima Pro, the LCD display only displays texts. There are multiple touch buttons on the control panel for choosing your settings.
Which One Do You Choose?
- If you want more authentic coffee drinks, true customization and the chance to practice real latte art, then you’ll have to choose the Creatista by Breville.
- If you want your coffee drinks, quick and easy but still delicious and fresh, the Lattissima Pro is great for just that. Although your customization is limited to coffee volume and froth density, if the quality or texture of the milk or temperature is not important to you, then go for the Lattissima Pro.
Gran Lattissima is one of Nespresso’s machines with built-in milk frothers. It is much like Nespresso Lattissma One‘s bigger sibling as both are the same but the Gran Lattissima has a larger milk reservoir.
Gran Lattissima has 9 presets for different milk based drinks as well as espresso and lungo with a button for each drink on the top panel of the machine. So it’s as simple as pressing a button to get your favorite drink ready.
Now the question is, what difference is there between the Gran Lattissima and Creatista or Creatista Plus?
The difference between these two machines is the same as the difference between the Creatista and the Lattissma Pro –
The milk frother is still the Creatista’s biggest feature. It’s an actual steam wand that is similar to those wands in expensive espresso machines. And being automated, you will get excellent micro foam even if you’re not a milk-texturing expert.
There are other differences, but the big question here is: do you want a steam wand or a regular milk frother?
Full Review of Breville Creatista:
How To Create Latte Art with Creatista Plus:
Demo of Lattissima Pro: