If you’re the type of person whose hectic mornings don’t allow you to sit and sip your coffee, you most likely have your coffee on the go. Single-serve coffee makers have been a major convenience for anyone who does not have the time. A simple press of a button and your coffee is ready in your cup in under a minute.
A drawback to some single-serve coffee makers is that they were too small to accommodate taller cups or travel mugs. So you had to brew your coffee in a cup and then transfer it to your taller cup.
In this post, I will be listing the top rated single-serve coffee makers that solve this issue. These coffee makers were designed especially to accommodate travel mugs, but can also be used with regular mugs. And whether you want to use K-Cup pods or ground coffee, the choice is totally up to you!
- Brew With or Without Pod Packs Brew up to 10 Oz With a Pod Pack, or up to a 14 Oz Travel Mug With Grounds Pack Holder and Grounds Basket Are Included
- Just Lower Lid and Brew Whether It’s a Pod Pack or Your Own Fresh Grounds, Just Place Them in the Holder, Lower the Lid and Press Brew
- Brew Strength Options Get Your Preferred Brew Flavor From Bold or Regular
- Fits a Variety of Mugs Use the Adjustable Cup Rest to Not Only Fit Your Favorite Mug in Just Right, but to Also Hold Pod Packs or the Brew Basket
- Easy to Clean the Pack-Piercing Tool Removes for Easy Cleaning to Prevent Clogging That Can Sometimes Occur With Frequent Use
Let’s start with the most popular one out of the bunch, the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew. This machines includes two filter baskets, one for ground coffee and another one for using K-Cup pods. It works like any other coffee maker, fill it up with water, fill the filter basket with coffee or use your favorite K-Cup pod, and hit the brew button.
You have two options to choose from, either a regular brew or a bold brew. Bold will give you stronger tasting coffee, but it will take a little bit longer to brew since it steeps the coffee longer.
When it comes to serving sizes, the largest serving size for a K-Cup pod is 10 oz, and 14 oz when using ground coffee. The smallest serving size you can brew is 6 oz.
If you’re going to brew into a travel mug directly, you’ll be able to fit one that is 8″ tall at most. When brewing into a regular mug, you can use the drip tray to raise up the mug higher and avoid splashing when brewing.
Can I Brew Anything Else Other than Coffee Using the FlexBrew?
Since this machine has a K-Cup pod adapter, then yes, you can basically brew anything that comes in a K-Cup pod. I would suggest that you rinse the machine between each brew (hit the brew button without inserting a k-Cup so it runs hot water) to clean any residue. As for using the basket filter, you can only use coffee ground with that.
Can I Use Paper Filters instead of the Permanent Filter?
Yes, you can. Paper filters size #1 should fit.
Does FlexBrew Include a Travel Mug?
No, it does not.
- FAST BREW TIME: With this single serve coffee maker, you can get fresh coffee at home in 30 seconds from start-to-brew! Depending on your preference, you can experiment with less water for a bolder flavor or more water for a milder taste.
- ONE TOUCH OPERATION: Enjoy coffee house quality, fresher and faster with this powerful yet compact 950-Watt coffee maker. With the one-touch operation you can quickly brew up to 14 oz. of coffee, consistently at the perfect temperature.
- K-CUPS OR GROUNDS: Have your cup of joe how you want it with ultimate versatility to select K-Cups or fresh coffee grounds. Includes reusable filter for use with coffee grounds and loose-leaf tea. Prevent mineral build up by using the self-cleaning feature on this BPA-free coffeemaker.
- COMPACT DESIGN: Narrow profile fits and stores anywhere and can be used to brew coffee on vacations or trips, in dorms, offices, or any size kitchen. Tall enough to use with most 14 oz. travel mugs, you can quickly brew your favorite hot beverages on-the-go!
- RJ14-UB ASSURANCES: CETL approved with advanced safety technology for long lasting durability, & 1-year assurance provided by Chefman, so you can purchase worry-free! Power Source: 120 Volts
Chefman’s InstaCoffee coffee maker is another great choice for a single-serve machine that can brew both ground coffee and K-Cup pods. It can accommodate regular cups and most 14oz travel mugs.
The machine has a single button on it, brewing a cup of coffee is as easy as pressing that brew button. It does not have a ‘Bold’ brew button, so if this is something you’d prefer, then go for the FlexBrew instead.
One thing you’ll notice is the slim design of the InstaCoffee machine. It’ll take very little space wherever you decide to place it, either in a kitchen countertop, the office, or a dorm room.
Does Chefman InstaCoffee Include a Travel Mug?
No, it does not.
Can I Use any K-Cup Pod?
Yes, that includes coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
- Included Components: Permanent Filter
- Fabric Type: Plastic, Stainless Steel
Black and Decker’s single serve coffee maker is a great choice if you do not need a machine that uses K-Cup pods in addition to ground coffee. This one only brews ground coffee using the included basket filter. It also includes a 16 oz insulated travel mug that will keep your coffee hot for a while.
You can also brew into a regular mug. However, the machine does not have a drip tray that will raise up the mug, so you should expect some splashing when the coffee pours out. Your safest bet is to use a taller mug.
Can I Brew Anything Else Other than Coffee?
Since this machine does not accommodate K-Cup pods, then no you can’t really brew anything else other than coffee. If you want to keep your options open when it comes to the beverages you can brew, then go for a machine that is compatible with pods like the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew or Chefman’s.
Can I Use a Paper Filter?
Yes, although not necessary, but if you want, go for a #1 size.