If you sometimes enjoy a nice pot of drip coffee, but other times you want to relax to a luscious cup of latte or cappuccino, having a machine that does them both would be a great convenience to you.
As we all know, espresso and coffee are totally different brews. Espresso, this rich shot of coffee, requires high pressure to be made. An espresso maker usually have a 15-bar pressure pump to operate. On the other hand, drip coffee does not require this type of high pressure.
A combo espresso and coffee maker has two sides, one for drip coffee and another for espresso, giving you access to both kind of coffee brews.
How To Pick a Combo Espresso and Coffee Maker:
When doing your research, you’ll find that many machines are labeled as ‘combo’ coffee makers, but actually aren’t. Well, while they can technically create specialty coffee drinks, they don’t necessarily do it the authentic way. Not all combo coffee makers have the high pressure pump needed to make an authentic shot of espresso. Instead, they just make a concentrated coffee brew to resemble espresso.
While this can be okay with you, it is still important to realize what type of espresso a machine can brew before you buy it. So, below, I will list the best rated combo espresso and coffee makers according to whether or not they can brew an authentic shot of espresso.
Best Combo Coffee Makers for Espresso and Drip Coffee:
- 1 machine does it all: 1 side makes authentic 15-bar espresso, cappuccino and latte, while the other side brews exceptionally delicious coffee.
- Flavor savor brew system: De’longhi’s patented coffee brewing system extracts maximum flavor and aroma for a robust coffee experience.
- Front-loading system: Both water and coffee reservoirs are conveniently located with frontal access for drip coffee – no need to move the machine.
- Your foam, your way: The advanced cappuccino system mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth for evenly textured drinks – just the way you like them.
- Filtered water for a better brew: The advanced active carbon filter keeps water fresh and free of impurities for better-tasting brewed coffee.
This machine by DeLonghi has it all. On the drip coffee side, you get a nice 10-cup capacity pot with a minimum brew of 1-4 cups. It has programmability for auto brew using the digital clock.
The Espresso side using a 15-bar pressure pump, so you should expect a decent and authentic shot of espresso. The simple button controls on the front panel allow you to switch between espresso brewing or steam wand, which you can use to heat and froth your milk. As this is a single heater machine, you cannot perform both tasks at the same time, and you should expect a bit of wait (few minutes) between each task until the machine is ready again.
The reservoir has an active carbon filter that keeps water fresh and clean of any impurities so you can make your best tasting coffee and espresso shots. If you’re going to use already filtered water or bottled water, this filter isn’t necessary.
DeLonghi BCO430BM vs. BCO430, Is There a Difference?
You’ll notice this machine is available under two model names. The only difference here is color. BM here stands for Black and Metal.
Can DeLonghi BCO430 Brew Coffee Capsules and Pods?
If you’re referring to capsules and pods that single-serve machine use (such as Nespresso or Keurig’s K-Cups), then no. This machine uses ground coffee only. It can accommodate soft pods, which are also referred to ESE pods, for espresso brewing.
- Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
First thing you’ll notice about the Espressione machine is how sleek it looks with its clean stainless steel exterior. This totally gives a high quality feel to the machine.
Like the DeLonghi, this machine has two sides to it. A 10-cup coffee pot side and an authentic espresso brewing side with a 19-bar pressure pump.
The coffee maker side is as simple as it gets. Fill in the coffee filter and hit the brew option. Sadly, the machine doesn’t have a digital timer for auto brew programmability.
The espresso side allows you to choose between single shot, double shot or manual brewing which allows you to brew your own volume of shot manually. There’s also a steam wand for heating and frothing milk.
The water reservoir has a front window that allows you to see right away which level the water is at.
While the Espressione is designed in Switzerland, it is made in China.
Best Runner-Up Combo Coffee Makers
The following machines are not runner-ups because they’re of less quality than the machines listed above, but here’s the deal: these machines don’t have pumps to make authentic espresso shots. If you decide to go for any of these machines, know that the best you’ll get is a very concentrated amount of drip coffee to mimic an espresso shot.
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted.Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
- 4 BREW STYLES: Select from one of the four, versatile brew styles: Classic, Rich, Over Ice, or Specialty Brew.
- SPECIALTY BREWS: Brew a super-rich coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks.
- MAKE ICED COFFEE: Brew fresh over ice for flavorful iced coffee that's never watered down.
- 6 BREW SIZES: Brew anything from a single cup or travel size to a half or full carafe in your coffee maker. 6 sizes include Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, Multi-Serve Travel Mug, Half Carafe & Full Carafe.
This is a popular choice for a coffee maker and it’s celebrated for its versatility. Ninja’s coffee maker gives you many choices when it comes serving sizes and brew type.
For serving sizes, you get 6 of them: single cup, XL cup, travel mug, multi-serve (large travel mug), half pot and full pot, which is 50 oz.
Brew choices are classic, rich (bolder taste), over ice which brews stronger so it doesn’t taste watered down when mixed with ice, and there’s specialty. Specialty is the coffee concentrate that the Ninja makes to replace Espresso for specialty coffee drinks. It’s brewed in 4 oz size.
To make a cappuccino, latte or whichever coffee drink, you’ll need to froth milk. This Ninja machine does not have a steam wand, but it does have a built-in milk frother, the whisk kind. So you’ll have to heat your milk first, then using the frother to create a delicious froth for a latte. The Ninja Specialty coffee maker does not use any pods, coffee ground only.
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Keurig K-Cafe coffee, latte, and cappuccino maker, and dishwasher safe frother..Cord Length : 30.0”..Digital Clock : No. Display Screen : No.
- COFFEE, LATTES & CAPPUCCINOS: Use any K-Cup pod to brew coffee, or make delicious lattes and cappuccinos. Press the SHOT button to brew a concentrated shot of coffee from your favorite K-Cup pod to make delicious hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos.
- DISHWASHER SAFE FROTHER: Froth fresh milk, including skim, soy, and almond. The frother is dishwasher safe for easy clean up after use and also features a COLD setting for cold frothed milk.
- STRONG BREW: Increase the strength and bold taste of your coffee.
- 4 CUP SIZES: 6, 8, 10, and 12oz.
If you prefer to use single-serve pods, this one is a great option. Keurig’s K-Cafe uses K-Cups, just like any other Keurig machine. As you might know, these pods are available from a wide variety of brands, so your choices are wide open here.
For coffee brewing, you get to select from four serving sizes: 6, 8, 10 and 12 oz. But what if you want to make a latte or a cappuccino?
You can use the Shot option, which will brew a 2 oz shot of coffee for the base of your coffee drink. Using the built-in milk frother, choose from Latte or Cappuccino option to adjust the froth density and level. The frother heats and froths the milk automatically. All you have to do is pour it into your coffee cup to complete your drink.
Keurig’s K-Cafe uses K-Cup pods only. If you want to use your own coffee ground, you can use a refillable pod.
Are There Espresso K-Cup Pods?
There are some Espresso roast K-Cups, which only means that they are very dark roast blends. For the ‘Shot’ serving size, you can use any type of K-Cup you want, and the machine will dispense 2 oz serving out of it.
Of course, you also have the option to use any serving size you like here. Get as creative as you like and create your own recipes!