I’ve always seen questions from customers asking whether Keurig machines can make Latte and Cappuccino drinks. My answer was always that you could make a latte or cappuccino using a K-Cup pod for those drinks, however, those are always packed with artificial ingredients and crazy amount of sugar. They’re never as fresh as coffee house quality.
The answer to that question has changed now with the release of Keurig K-Cafe, a single serve coffee maker that can make coffee as well as specialty drinks. It even has a built-in milk frother, so now you can create your own coffee, cappuccino and latte without the addition of unhealthy ingredients.
What Is Keurig K-Cafe and How Does It Work?
K-Cafe is a single-serve coffee maker that works like any previous Keurig machine. It uses K-Cup pods to brew a cup of coffee in minutes. But new features have been added to this model to make it perfect for Latte and Cappuccino lovers:
- It can make an espresso-like concentrate for making specialty coffee drinks.
- It has a built-in milk frother for heating and frothing fresh milk. It prepares cold froth for iced coffee drinks, too.
This is the first time Keurig makes a coffee maker of this kind. And of course, like any other Keurig, you can still use the K-Cafe to make other drinks like tea, hot chocolate, hot cider and more!
Features of Keurig K-Cafe:
- Make coffee, cappuccino, latte and many other drinks using K-Cup pods.
- Brews cup sizes: 6, 8, 10, and 12 oz for coffee.
- Special SHOT size for preparing a coffee shot to use for specialty coffee drinks.
- Strong Brew options steeps your coffee longer for a bolder taste.
- Easy to use button controls
- Water reservoir capacity: 60 oz.
See How It Works:
What Pods Are Compatible with Keurig K-Cafe?
K-Cafe is compatible with any type of K-Cup pod, including refillable My K-Cup pods (Sold separately). This gives you the option to choose from a really wide range of pods, as well as your favorite coffee ground.
Does K-Cafe Make Espresso?
Espresso is the base of every specialty coffee drinks. To be made authentically, it requires the machine to have a high pressure pump to make it. Since a Keurig does not have that, it uses low pressure to make 2 oz coffee concentrate that is similar to espresso. This is a similar method to Ninja’s Coffee Bar system.
How Does the K-Cafe Frother Work?
The frother has a base that is built into the machine, so it uses the same plug as the machine to run. The jug of the frother is detachable, so you can pick it up to pour the milk into your cup. Using the button controls, you can choose Cap, Latte or Cold:
- Cappuccino option should create a denser foam,
- while the Latte option makes a more creamy and less foamy milk.
- Cold is for iced drinks, so the frother will only froth the milk without heating it.
You can use any type of milk you choose: full fat, half and half, skimmed or any type of milk alternatives (almond, rice, soy milk and so on). But do note that the results in froth will vary, since not all milk types foam the same way.
The milk frothing jug is dishwasher safe.
Keurig K-Cafe vs. K-Classic (K55), Keurig 2.0 and Keurig Mini, How Is It Different?
Each of these models has its own pros and cons, and has its own features that make it special. What sets the K-Cafe apart is its ability to make specialty coffee drinks in addition to regular coffee and other hot beverages.
Using the other machines, in order to make a Cappuccino or Latte, you could have used a Cappuccino or Latte K-Cup pod, which is quite similar to those instant drink packets that include ingredients like sugar, oils, glucose syrup and loads of unhealthy ingredients. Using the K-Cafe, you can finally make a cappuccino or latte using coffee and fresh milk and adding your own ingredients.
The K-Cafe model can make:
- Coffee and hot beverages in brew sizes: 6, 8, 10 and 12 oz.
- Shot size for specialty drinks makes concentrated 2 oz of coffee as a base for your drink.
- Built-in milk frother heats and froths milk. It also creates cold froth.
What K-Carafe does NOT do:
- It can’t brew a full carafe like Keurig 2.0 models.
- It can’t brew K-Mug sizes (16 and 18 oz) which is also a feature of Keurig 2.0.
- It has no temperature control. This feature is available in Keurig K-Elite and Keurig K575.
Who Should Buy Keurig K-Cafe? Is It The Right Choice For You?
This Keurig model is aimed at anyone who loves their K-Cup pod but wants to make specialty coffee drinks, too. You’ll be able to make your favorite specialty drinks while controlling what you add to it. No more artificial or high calorie ingredients (well, unless you want to add them yourself!). The milk frother is a great addition to the machine. It heats and froths your milk for you, and you’re free to choice the type of milk you want.