Cappuccinos and Lattes are popular among coffee lovers. There’s nothing nicer than starting your day with a creamy cup of Cappuccino or Latte, or enjoying a frothy cup in your afternoon break.
Making a Cappuccino (or any milk based drink, really) at home can be done easily and at a fraction of the cost, and you can enjoy your drink at any time you want without any wait.
Type of Cappuccino Makers For Home:
There are many different type of Cappuccino makers that can be used at home. There are espresso makers that allow you to make your coffee drink from scratch, and it can be quite intimidating for a beginner, or there are the one-touch system that make you a drink with a simple touch of a button.
In this post, we’re going to focus on one-touch systems, which are also available in two kinds:
Pod Systems: These are coffee makers that rely on special pre-measured coffee pods or capsules like K-Cups, Dolce Gusto pods or Nespresso capsules. This type of espresso/coffee maker is the most convenient as you don’t even need to measure your coffee ground. All you have to do is place a pod and hit a button and everything will be done for you.
- Pros: Very convenient. Almost no clean up required after use (Clean up after a few uses)
- Cons: Buying coffee pods can get expensive over time. But it is still way less expensive than buying your drink at a coffee shop.
Pod-free Espresso/coffee maker: This type of coffee maker doesn’t use any type of pods. Instead, it uses coffee ground. You can find some one-touch cappuccino makers that use coffee ground instead of pods.
- Pros: As convenient and quick as as a pod system. No ongoing pod costs.
- Cons: clean up is required after every use.
Best Single-Serve Cappuccino/Espresso Makers With Pods:
Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe Bundle:
VertuoPlus is one of Nespresso’s VertuoLine machines. These machines are able to brew coffee and espresso using Nespresso’s VertuoLine capsules. The machine will brew the coffee or espresso shot, while the bundled automatic milk frother (known as Aeroccino) will heat and froth the milk with a press of a button to be used to make your cappuccino or latte.
- Designed to be used with Nespresso VertuoLine capsules exclusively. (Coffee and espresso capsules available).
- Uses Nespresso’s patented technology that extracts coffee by rapidly spinning the capsule (Centrifusion technology).
- Automatically adjusts brewing parameters to offer you the best extraction for each type of capsule you use. An embedded laser reader scans the barcode on the capsule to recognize its type.
- Three cup sizes: 14oz and 8 oz for coffee and 1.35oz for espresso.
- Motorized head automatically lowers/lifts when inserting a capsule.
- Moveable water tank gives you more freedom in controlling where to put your machine and accommodate it to your available space. The tank swivels to stay on the side or behind the machine.
- Used capsule drawer holds multiple capsules before needing to discard them.
- Includes a Welcome Pack with 12 capsules to start with.
Nescafe Dolce Gusto Genio 2:
Dolce Gusto by Nescafe is a one-touch machine that makes over 20 drinks including coffee, espresso, Macchiato, lattes, hot chocolate and more. It is a great option for anyone who wants to enjoy more than just coffee drinks. Genio 2 uses Dolce Gusto pods only.
- Makes a variety of specialty drinks.
- Smart Pod technology offers bar pressure up to 15bars depending on the drink you’re preparing.
- Customize the size and intensity of your drink using a toggle with 8-LED light indicators.
- Brews sizes up to 12 oz.
- Water reservoir capacity: 45oz.
How Dolce Gusto Pods Work:
Dolce Gusto pods are available in many variety of coffee and non-coffee drinks. But there is something that we need to point out, and since we’re talking about Cappucino here, we’ll use Dolce Gusto’s Cappuccino pods to explain how it works:
When you’re making a milk-based drink by Dolce Gusto, there are two steps:
- First one is the brewing the coffee pod.
- Second is a a milk pod, which makes the Cappuccino drink complete.
How Is This Different Than Nespresso?
When making a Nespresso drink, you’re only brewing coffee out of the capsule, and frothing fresh milk using the Aeroccino frother. With Dolce Gusto, everything is packed into a pod, including the milk. This is important to note so you know that using Dolce Gusto, you’re not getting fresh milk, and there could be added sugar/flavors or ingredients that some people prefer to avoid. While with Nespresso, you’re guaranteed coffee with no additives unless you add other ingredients yourself.
Nespresso Essenza Mini with Aeroccino:
Essenza Mini is another great option from Nespresso, yet it is not the same as the VertuoPlus we previously talked about. Essenza Mini is one of Nespresso’s OriginalLine espresso makers. Unlike VertuoPlus, it only makes espresso and espresso based drinks, and it uses OriginalLine capsules which are different than VertuoLine capsules.
The great thing about Nespresso OriginalLine is that you’ll find a variety of capsules from Nespresso as well as other Nespresso-compatible brands. There are also non-official refillable pods that you can use to brew your own ground coffee.
Features of Essenza Mini:
- Very compact machine, ultra light.
- 2 programmable sizes for espresso and lungo.
- Quick heat up time under 30 seconds.
- Includes Aeroccino automatic milk frother for making cappuccinos and lattes.
- 20.3 oz water tank capacity.
- Used capsule drawer.
- Includes a variety of Nespresso capsules.
- Available in 3 colors.
Best Single-Serve Cappuccino Makers Without Pods:
Mr Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso and Cappuccino System:
Mr Coffee Cafe Barista is a one-touch, simple to use espresso and cappuccino maker. It has the classic look of an espresso machine, but without the hard work. The machine uses any type of coffee ground as long as it is finely ground for proper espresso extraction. The built-in milk container will automatically froth and dispense milk right into the cup.
- One-touch options for single or double shot of espresso, or cappuccino or latte.
- Automatic milk frother with removable reservoir.
- Adjustable milk froth type, either for cappuccino (more froth) or latte (creamy with less froth).
- Removable cup tray to accommodate taller glasses.
- Includes a single shot filter, double shot filter, measuring scoop, tamper and recipe book.
- Available in three colors.
DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super Automatic Espresso Maker:
DeLonghi Magnifica is a super-automatic espresso/coffee machine that does it all with a push of a button. This includes grinding fresh coffee, too!
- Super-automatic espresso and coffee maker.
- Built-in conical burr grinder grinds beans on demand right before brewing for a truly fresh cup of coffee.
- Grind coarseness is adjustable to taste.
- Patented ‘Cappuccino System’ by DeLonghi that creates creamy froth.
- Easy to use dial and button controls.
- Fully programmable coffee volumes and options.