When it comes to single-serve coffee makers, many users look for versatility as an important feature of their coffee maker. This is perhaps one of the reasons Keurig coffee makers are popular, it’s due to its versatility in brewing coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cold drinks from a large selection of brands. But Keurig isn’t the only coffee maker that has this feature. In fact, there are a few coffee maker brands that do the same. And in today’s post, we’re focusing on BUNN MCU Multi-Use coffee maker, and you’ll be surprised to see that it is even more versatile than many other machines!
Features of BUNN MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Coffee Maker:
- Single serve brewer than serves a minimum of 4 oz and up to 14 oz.
- Brew using K-Cup pods, ground coffee, soft pods, tea bags or loose tea.
- Brews a cup in under a minute.
- Pulse Brew option allows you to brew a bolder cup of coffee.
- Includes from inserts (drawers) for each brewing type:
- Cup drawer for K-Cups.
- Ground Coffee drawer can be used for ground coffee or loose tea.
- Soft Pod drawer which can be used for soft coffee pods, tea pods or tea bags.
- Hot water drawer for hot water on demand.
- No water reservoir, simply fill up the water tank before each use with the desired amount.
BUNN MCU vs. Keurig, How Are They Different?
To be as fair as possible, we’re comparing the BUNN MCU to the Keurig K15 Mini, which is the most comparable to the BUNN MCU since both are compact and they type that don’t have a reservoir but can be filled up with water at each brew cycle.
Overall, Keurig can brew K-Cup pods which include coffee K-pods, tea K-pods, hot chocolate and other beverages. It can also brew ground coffee using refillable K-cup filters (which you purchase separately). Unlike BUNN MCU, it does not brew soft pods, tea bags or loose tea. Also, another feature that is missing from the K15 is strength control. With the BUNN MCU, you can use Pulse Brew feature to make a bolder cup of coffee.
And if serving sizes is important to you, using the K15 you’ll be able to brew 10 oz max. With the BUNN MCU, you can brew up to 14 oz.
Features of the Keurig K15:
- Compact single-serve K-Cup brewer.
- Brews serving sizes 6 oz , 8 oz and 10 oz.
- Fill up with water tank with fresh water at every brew.
BUNN MCU vs. Cuisinart SS-5 Single-Serve Coffee Maker:
Another contender to the BUNN MCU is Cuisinart. Although they are not entirely comparable, yet many people feel like they want to choose between them.
The Cuisinart SS-5 is a K-Cup brewer, so it works just like a Keurig coffee maker. It brews K-cup pods of any kind, including refillable ones. In fact, it includes a refillable cup so you don’t have to purchase one separately.
Unlike the BUNN MCU, this Cuisinart has a reservoir with 40 oz capacity. This means you don’t have to fill up the reservoir at each brew.
As for serving sizes, the Cuisinart SS-5 brews 6 oz, 8 oz and 10 oz servings, with a button dedicated for each cup size.
Features of Cuisinart SS-5:
- K-Cup brewer by Cuisinart.
- Brews cup sizes 6, 8 and 10 oz.
- Removable water reservoir with 40 oz capacity.
- Includes a refillable K-Cup filter for brewing ground coffee.
- Also includes a charcoal water filter.
Which Model Do You Choose?
Between these three models, our favorite is definitely BUNN’s MCU. Here’s why:
- It brews up to 14 oz of coffee. This is the largest serving either of these models has to offer, and it’s a serving size that any one who drinks from a travel mug will appreciate.
- It is the most versatile for sure. Although they all brew K-Cup and ground coffee (using refillable K-Cup filters), BUNN MCU is the only model that includes inserts for all brewing types includes K-Cups, ground coffee or loose tea, soft pods and hot water on demand. Meaning, you don’t have to purchase any additional accessories separately.
- It has strength control feature. Using Pulse Brew, you can make your coffee brew stronger.
- the MCU has stainless steel casing with some plastic parts, unlike the other models that have plastic housing. This makes it more durable to use and clean.