There is no doubt that using a single-serve coffee maker gives you a great convenience when making your favorite cup of coffee. Using a coffee maker like Keurig, for example, gives you not only a quick and mess-free way to make the perfect cup of coffee, but also other hot and cold drinks like tea, hot chocolate, iced tea and more. But if there’s one thing single-cup coffee maker owners complain about the continuous cost of buying pods.
Whether you’re already a single-cup coffee maker owner or about to buy one, you’ll be happy to know that there are ways around the cost of coffee pods.
Buying a Single-Serve Coffee Maker With No Pods:
The great news is, not all single-serve coffee makers require coffee pods. In fact, there are single serve coffee makers that use ground coffee, just like a drip coffee maker. Which means, there are no additional costs for buying pods. However, this limits your options to brewing coffee only, as opposed to brewing multiple drinks like Keurig for example.
Let’s have a look at our favorite single cup coffee makers without pod use:
Ninja Coffee Bar Single-Serve Coffee Maker:
- Ninja’s coffee bar is a versatile single-serve coffee maker that requires no pods at all. It offers a great option for different coffee drinks and cup sizes.
- It has 5 coffee types: Classic, Rich, Over Ice, Specialty and Cafe Forte.
- Brews 4 cup sizes: Cup, XL Cup, Travel and Multi Serve.
- Built-in frother allows you to create creamy froth for specialty coffee drinks like latte or cappuccino.
- Includes a coffee measuring scoop and 22 oz travel mug.
- You can click here to read our review of the Ninja Coffee Bar Single Serve.
BUNN MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Coffee Brewer:
- Coffee brewer that gives you multiple ways to prepare your coffee: K-Cup pods, coffee ground, soft pods, tea pods or loose tea.
- Choose from sizes 4 oz up to 14 oz.
- Pulse brew allows you to extract bolder flavor.
- Brews in under a minute.
- Includes a different drawer for each brew type, including hot water only.
Mr Coffee HotCup Single Serve Pod Free Coffee Maker:
- Mr Coffee HotCup is as simple as a coffee maker comes. Add in your coffee, select serving size and you’re all set.
- Makes from 6 to 12 oz of coffee.
- Illuminated Water reservoir holds up to 72 oz of water.
- Use dial to select serving amount: 6, 8, 10 or 12 oz.
- Filter basket uses paper filter.
- Can accommodate up to 7″ tall travel mugs.
KitchenAid Personal Coffee Maker:
- Sleek and compact design.
- Easy to use with a single-button brewing operation.
- Simply fill the included permanent filter with your favorite ground coffee.
- Removable water reservoir.
- Brews cup size up to 18 oz.
- Includes a thermal travel mug.
- Available in four colors.
How To Save on Buying Coffee Pods:
If you already own a single-serve coffee maker and want to cut on your coffee pod costs, here are some tips:
- Use a refillable coffee pod: Whether you own a Keurig, Keurig-powered coffee maker, or a Nespresso, there are reusable pods available for all these machines. You simply buy a filter pod, fill it with ground coffee that is available at any local coffee house or supermarket, and it is as good as a pod. However, not all these pods are officially made from these coffee maker brands, and you’ll have to test out the best coffee measurement for yourself.
- Use Alternative Brands: Each brand has its own price, that’s no surprise. However, there are brands that sell pods factory-direct like Intelligent Blends K-Cup pods, for example, which saves you a whole lot of money. For Nespresso, you can buy Nespresso-compatible pods, which are cheaper and more variant than Nespresso’s official capsules.